Friday, September 3, 2010

A New Perspective

Well I have some good news today! This week has been much better than last...but let's start this post with the weekend I ended the last post with. The Tears for Fears concert was really fun. We had a great time with our new friends and the band really rocked! We got stuck behind a bunch of people who were standing and we couldn't see the band very well, but we were able to push our way through for a good portion of it. They were just as good as 25 years ago, and I know a good portion of their songs. They even did my favorite, "Woman in Chains." It has a guest female vocalist and I really didn't think they would perform it, but they did it as their first encore song. It was amazing!! Unfortunately, I forgot to put the battery (which I charged specifically for this event) in my camera, so I have no photos. =(

In the beginning of the week I was feeling very discouraged and kind of defeated. I called the Applebee's in Orlando on Tuesday and let's just say, no good news. Needless to say, that really got me down. I hit the internet for some hardcore job hunting and ended up applying to four jobs. Lucky for me, only one allowed a cover letter. I was planning to spend some time at the pool, but the time whizzed by me as I searched and searched for jobs. As the hours ticked away, I started to feel a cool sense of relief. It was almost like God was whispering to me to just be calm and stop worrying...He gifted me with a new perspective, if you will.

Then, late in the afternoon I received a phone call from a woman with Human Resources at Campus Crusade for Christ in regards to the position I have been on the edge of my seat about (read my last post for details). She asked if I had time for an interview and I spent about 40 minutes chatting with her. It went really well! Now it's kind of confusing, but let me try my best to explain. The woman who is doing the hiring in the department had this HR person go ahead and do the first phone interview with me, and if that went well I was to go in for some testing. They will be measuring my skills with Microsoft Word and Publisher, which are the programs I will be primarily be using to complete the job functions. The woman I spoke with wanted me to e-mail her a few samples of my work, which she would forward on to the other woman. Less than an hour later, I got an e-mail asking me to come in for testing on Tuesday, September 7!! If the testing goes well, they will let me know right after and I will return next Friday for an interview with this HR lady and one other HR person. If that interview goes well, I will stick around for a second interview with the woman in charge of hiring for the Jesus Film Project.

It's not like I feel as though I have this in the bag, but I am feeling pretty confident about it. I really, really want this job, and I know I would do well in it. Not only would I use the skills I spent four years (and thousands of dollars) cultivating and learning, but this job would put me in a faith-based setting and allow me to grow in my spirituality. As I told the woman interviewing me on the phone, I never could have imagined such a wonderful opportunity. Please pray that I do not become too complacent or overly confident. Pray that if this is in God's plan, He would give me the words and wisdom to achieve this goal. I am going to go over both programs and look over some interviewing techniques so I can be as prepared as possible.

Have a blessed weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

fully alive photography said...

OHHHH GINA that is most excellent! I am praying praying praying!!!!!! I think you would be extremely skilled for this position! I want that for you... hopefully Jesus does too!!!!!!!!! Keep us updated! Love!