Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Job Dilemmas

Hello friends! I will be talking about my job situation today, so I thought this comic was appropriate. Snoopy is always a good one.
For those who don't know, I started working at Applebee's last week as a server. I trained for two days (normal is five, but they sped me through since I have worked at Applebee's before) last week and served on my own for the first time yesterday. I don't have very many shifts this week, but I am hoping that as I start to prove myself I will get better shifts.

We've been talking about work ethic in church and I've been really challenged to adjust the way I think about and act at work. I've always had a great work ethic as far as being efficient and doing what I am asked, but I must admit I do not always have the best attitude about what I am doing. It is especially hard on days where guests leave me no tip or constantly refer to me as "waitress" and imply I know no more than a first grader. I want this time to be different though. I want to impress my employers and co-workers with my positive attitude and be the one person who doesn't complain or gossip. I want to be an example of Christ and spur others on. No matter what I'm doing, I should be able to do this. I'm sure it would have been a lot easier if I had gotten the job at the Jesus Film Project where I enjoyed what I did and was surrounded by other believers, but maybe that's why I didn't get it. Maybe God wants to challenge me, and I want to accept that challenge. (I can't help thinking of Barney in "How I Met Your Mother." Challenge accepted!!)

I have also been offered a sales position job at David's Bridal. When I applied I thought it would be full time and offer benefits, but neither of those things are true. I feel like it's foolish to turn down an extra chance to make money and an experience I could really learn from, but I'm just really wary about having two jobs. It's always sounded so stressful to me. I realize how grateful I should be. I go from having no jobs to two...that's awesome news, right? It is, and I don't want to deny that. There are just a lot of things to consider. It's hard enough one when boss can't get my schedule straight, but happens when two bosses mess up? What if I am scheduled at both places at one time? What if I get scheduled at one place on the days I had off at the other place and then I am working who knows how many days in a row with no days off? I can't just work AM at one place and PM at the other for five days because then when will I have time to see my husband, grocery shop, clean, etc.? Oh it just all sounds like a nightmare. But for some reason I couldn't bring myself to tell the lady at David's Bridal "no."

Please pray for me friends. Pray that I can be a good example at any place I work and learn to not complain or gossip but to be grateful that I am working and glorify the Lord. Please also pray that I can gain some wisdom about on whether or not I should accept both jobs. Any advice would be accepted as well. Thanks, and I hope you are all having a great week!

No comments: