I'm guessing most of you have heard of To Write Love on Her Arms. If you haven't you should check out their website. I first heard about TWLOHA about three years ago. It is a non-profit organization that was formed in 2006 as a way to reach out to a young girl who turned to drugs, alcohol, and hurting herself as a way to cope with her depression. Now it is "dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide." They exist "to encourage, inform, inspire and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery."
To Write Love on Her Arms spreads the message of love and hope to people everywhere. In the last four years, they have responded to 150,000 messages from people in 40 different countries. According to their web site, two out of three people struggle from depression, which is the leading cause of suicide. "In America alone, it’s estimated that 19 million people live with depression, and suicide is the third-leading cause of death among those 18-24 years old."
Although I have never been diagnosed with clinical depression, I think we can all agree that we've had times of deep struggle and heartache. I'm fairly confident that most people can say that if they haven't harmed themselves, they've at least thought about it. I was telling my husband just the other night how I can think of five people I have been close to - just off the top of my head - who have self-harmed. I don't know about you, but to me that's a lot. And those people are not alone. This organization exists to bring them together and let them know that they are loved. TWLOHA is currently working with PostSecret (another cool organization you can check out here) and the Kristin Brooks Hope Center, to launch a project called IMAlive "the first online crisis network with 100% of its staff certified and trained in crisis intervention" to reach these millions of depressed people.

No comments:
Post a Comment