Friday, March 2, 2012

Update on My Surgery: Good and Bad News

To everyone who has been concerned about me, thank you very much!! I really appreciate all the texts and messages I've been getting and all the prayers and thoughts for my well-being. It's been a long day, but I wanted to give an update. I actually went to work at 8:30 today because I had to finish something up. I was only there til 10:30, but it still seems pretty crazy that I actually worked today. It seems like so long ago.But anyway, the surgery went very well.
If you're like me, you've got to hear the bad news first. So here it is: There was a cholestatoma in my ear. The last time I had one was when I was 6 years old, but it grew back. I'm not sure when or why or how, but it was there. The good news: It was small enough that they did not need to do the massive surgery!! They were able to get it out through my ear canal. They made a cut inside so my ear is sore, but this is great compared to what they thought they'd have to do if they found a cholestatoma. Also, there was a chance that they'd have to get a skin graf from my thigh to replace bad skin in my ear, but they did not do that either. The doctor told Erik he was glad I made the decision to let them go in right away.

I woke up very disoriented and thirsty. They gave me some ice chips and wouldn't let me see Erik until I left the recovery area (which seemed to take forever). But they took good care of me there. They gave me a Vicodin pill, which helped. I also got prescriptions for an anti-biotic, ear drops and more Vicodin. Erik dropped them off on the way home, so I'll get those tomorrow. We may not even get the Vicodin if I don't need it. I ate some graham crackers in the hospital and a slice of bread from Panera on the way home. As soon as I got out of the car I threw everything up. I felt better, so I went upstairs (very slowly) and ate some Panera broccoli cheddar soup. I slept for about two hours and woke up feeling better. I finished my soup, but threw it all up about an hour later. I haven't eaten anything other than the soup and the crackers since 10:00 last night, so my stomach is pretty empty. I'm slowly working on drinking a smoothie Erik made for me.

My husband has been such a great caretaker, getting me whatever I need and being very patient with me. He has spring break next week, so he'll be able to stay with me as I recover. I will not know if I can return to work until I call the doctor's office next Monday. I think I will for sure stay home Monday, then see what he says about the rest of the week. The nurse said he may want me to stay home until my pre-op appointment on Thursday, but we'll see.

Thanks again for all your thoughts, well wishes and prayers! I got a beautiful bouquet of flowers from my mother-in-law, and a really sweet card and "Good Luck" balloon from my friends Jay and Carol were on my doorstep this morning. I really appreciate everyone in my life right now and am so grateful to God! If you live in the Orlando area and would like to come see me, I'm pretty much stuck at home for most the weekend, so you're welcome to stop by (babies and all). Peace and love to all of you!

1 comment:

cara said...

Wow, Gina, you poor thing. I sure hope you feel better soon... No fun throwing everything up. Ugh! So glad to hear the surgery, for the most part was a success. Hey, don't worry about work, I'll hold down the fort for you, they'll never miss you LOL (like that's even remotely possible). Rest and recuperate girl. God's peace be with you!