Friday, December 31, 2010

Pondering the New Year (and a recap of the last)

Today is New Year's Eve, which means it is the last day of 2010. Here's a little recap of the last year of our lives:
January: Erik got in a car wreck that totalled his car and forced him to look for a new one
February: Erik turned 23 and my aunt's grandpa turned 90. Wow!
March: Erik got a new (used) car and we were only one month away from getting married.
April: I turned 23 on the 7th, and Erik and I tied the knot on April 17. It was one of the best days of our lives. We also went on our honeymoon to Cozumel, the first time either of us has left the country. April was an eventful, but amazing, month!
May: We were adjusting to married life and also decided we were going to move to Florida so Erik could attend graduate school at UCF.
June: We told our friends and family about our plans to move and were grappling with that decision.
July: My cousin Jamie got married and we had a lovely "reunion" of sorts with my dad's side of the family. We said goodbye to them and to my Aunt Tammy, Uncle Steve, and cousins Joe and Tyler.
August: We said (a temporary) goodbye to Illinois and drove across the country to our new home in Florida. Erik also started his first semester of grad school.
September: We were adjusting to our lives in Florida and I spent the month unemployed, looking for a job.
October: I received the news that I didn't get the job I was hoping for and remained unemployed for this month. We continued to adjust and make new friends.
November: I started a job at Applebee's in Maitland as Erik wrapped up his first semester at UCF.
December: Erik finished his first semester with a bang! He got straight A's and made his wife proud. We also travelled to Illinois for Christmas and were reunited with our families and many friends. My mom went into the hospital and gave us all a scare. (More on our trip home in a future post.)

I'd say 2010 was a pretty eventful year, wouldn't you? The year 2011 is coming, full speed ahead, and I have absolutely no idea what it will bring. I've been thinking about how the last two years I had an idea of what was ahead. On New Year's Eve 2008, I knew I would graduate with my Bachelor of Arts the next year and I was pretty certain Erik would propose to me that year as well. Last New Year's Eve I knew we would get married in 2010 and that it would be the year Erik started grad school, which most likely meant we would move out of state. But this year I don't have any milestones planned and I have zero idea of what the year will bring. I have to admit this kind of scares me. I know things can't always be planned, but part of me thinks "why not?" I love having a plan and not knowing what will happen is intimidating and scary. Last year at this time, I knew the upcoming year was going to be challenging, but I also knew it would be amazing because it was the year I would say "I do" to my best friend. But then again, on New Year's Eve 2007 I had no idea that 2008 would be the year I met my future husband or the year I started a job I truly loved at the Daily Vidette. Come to think of it, 2008 was a pretty great year and I had no clue what it would bring me. Maybe this whole not knowing what will happen thing isn't so bad after all. Here's to a new year full of surprises (both good and bad), blessings, and joy. How are you feeling about the new year? Anyone else want to share a recap? I'd love to read about it!

Well I am off to go spend my last day of 2010 with my husband and some wonderful new friends. Happy New Year's Eve, everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Gina & Erik! John Lennon once said "Life is what happens when you're making other plans," and I couldn't agree more. Enjoy every day together... it's a rare treasure to have someone that you're perfectly content "just being" with!

-Jamie